Monday, July 14, 2008

What a weekend!

We had a great time camping. Really nice weather with the exception of a monsoon Saturday morning. The sky was looking pretty dark and we decided to put up the gazebo/tent, whatever it is that goes over the picnic table. Anyway, we are just about done and BAM downpour. Luckily, the kids were inside the camper with Mindy cuz out of nowhere this HUGE wind came up and took their awning (of a 30+ foot hard sided camper) over and twisted the metal arms holding it in place. It was crazy and a total loss for them. Cross your fingers on insurance! I didn't get any pictures since the weather would have destroyed the camera, but Mindy got some great shots of the kids playing in what looked like a huge pond through the middle of the camp sites. So much so that we could fill up large water guns by dipping them in the "pond". Then the rain turned into a drizzle and the kids came out to use the "pond" as a slip 'n slide. I was thrilled they were taking it so well.
Later that day (actually twice) we headed down to the lake to cool off. Drew was showing me his new "let's see how deep I can go" skills and had no fear to head out into the "deep part" up to his shoulders. He also dunked himself under several times and "swam" around with me from shallow to deep more times than I can count.
We also took Drew's Jeep with us on this trip. We had really big sites so we figured it would be a good time for him to use it. He and Haley had a blast driving around the sites. She sat in the passenger seat softly screaming woo hoo, woo hoo. You could tell they thought they were IT!
I also noticed a change with Drew. I'm not sure if he was just exhausted, but both for nap and bed, he really didn't make a stink and fell asleep within 15 minutes of laying down. I was pleasantly surprised.
On Sunday we got packed up and headed back home. Mike's boss and director came in to town and wanted to go to a Tiger's game. So he went to Detroit. They had perfect weather - sun, nice wind and not humid. Unfortunately, Mike got back to the van to find someone threw a rock through the passenger window and stole his cell phone. Note to all who venture down to Detroit - PARK IN A LOT WITH SURVEILLANCE. If you would have looked in the windows of the van, you literally would have seen a car seat and 12 pack of Diet Coke...that's it! (Which is really quite odd for my car) I guess they took a chance on something being in the console...like a cell phone. He called me to ask what he should do. I said, really, you should call the police but who knows how long that will take. I don't think their priorities include smashed windows. So he decided just to come home. The up news...He cancelled his phone which can no longer be used by anyone, ever. Ha! What the heck is the point in stealing a cell phone anyway? I guess they could have called India or something, but I just can see some hoods in Detroit knowing many people outside the city. And any other calls were free since it was Sunday. I'm crossing my fingers on the bill, but I guess we'll see it soon enough. On Monday, I called insurance and got the window fixed for $100 and didn't need a police report. YAY!! The thought of wasting a day going back to Detroit to get something in writing really had me down before I made the call, so it ended up being a pretty good Monday. And luckily we emptied everything we had in there from camping, cuz man, it really could have been bad.

No comments: