Monday, January 28, 2008

A Little Tough Love Goes A Long Way!

The scene - a cold, snowy winter weekend. Dad - gone snowmobiling. Mom - home with Drew. Can you see where this is going???? So we had a great weekend but were going a bit stir crazy Saturday night. So we decided to go to Target, of course. Drew is, partially trying to push some buttons and partially inquisitive and taking full advantage that mom's a bit tired of saying Drew all day and trying to shop. So we check out at Target and trek through the snowy, slippery parking lot. Of course, my remote for the car now has a dead battery and I HAVE to unlock the front door to open the back door and Drew is not in the cart because it's full of stuff. So, as cutely devilish as he can be, he inches toward the front bumper of the Jeep. I, in a stern voice, say, Drew, come on! It's cold, I have to put the stuff in the back and you have to get in the car! Ever so slowly, he inches toward the car, as if to say, I'm gonna run from you mom. I, more sternly, say, DREW COME ON! and start to take a step, and with that, he takes off to the front of the car. Remember, slippery, snowy parking lot. And now, a car coming down the next lane...CRAP! Drew, STOP!!!! Get back here NOW! I skate around to the other side of the car, where at this point, he's trying to get back to where he was, and I'm having a freakin' heart attack. I finally catch up to him, back in his original spot as he's saying, Mom, I'm trying to come back! Now luckily we've bought him a winter coat that has a fleece liner and a winter exterior. It just so happens the outer shell is not zipped - perfect handles! I grab both sides of those "handles" get right down to his level and YELL, a lot! Blah, blah, cars, snow, scared mom, hurt Drew, slippery, snow, CARS, HURT, DREW...you get the idea! To which his cute face turns to fear and he starts BALLING!!! Perfect, I've done my job! I'd probably be more happy but my blood pressure is still through the roof and the adrenaline has not worn off yet. I scoop him up, put him in his car seat, and shut his door. Proceed to the back, open it, only to hear lots of crying (doesn't matter tho, I'm still hot!). Slam the back shut, move the cart, and finally get in the car. Mom, I don't want you to yell at me...whimper, whimper, sniffle! Well you know what Drew? I'm going to! THAT IS NOT OK! YOU CAN NOT RUN OUT IN THE ROAD blah, blah, blah, do you understand me!?! Yes, mom. Sorry mom! Mom, can I open my window so I can let the snow in? NO! ok, mom. I love you mom! OK, buddy you can open your window, but I'm still mad! thanks, mom. Hey look it's snowing in here! Can we play memory when we get home? (I'm still rolling my eyes!)

No comments: