Friday, November 21, 2008

So typical!

My mom read my post yesterday and called to see what Drew wants for Christmas/Hanukkah. She gets on the phone with him and all he kept saying is, "I don't know." Finally I talk to her and she asks me and I tell her to ask him and she says, "what do you think I've been TRYING to do!" Ahh, I wasn't really listening to what was going on but after she said that I realized she had been asking him and he couldn't tell her. I think the reason is two-fold...1. He/we finally figured out how to play pool on the Wii (and he was kicking my butt) and 2. He doesn't really know any of the names of the toys. He sees it in a picture or on TV and just wants it added to the list. So I start giving mom some ideas on what he'd like. I pull out the Target toys catalogue and give her the real names of the toys so she's got a fighting chance on getting what I'm trying to describe and we're having fun talking about all the cool stuff they have. She found a pony she wants to buy for herself and a pony and dinosaur she wants to buy for Drew. Only a couple hundred each! She was serious about the dinosaur and asks sheepishly, "you probably don't want a dinosaur in your house, right?" Now let me just tell you it's a pretty cool dinosaur you can ride on that makes sounds and moves, but NO, I do not want money wasted on a toy that will be used for 6 months and tell mom I'd rather have the money put away for college than a dinosaur Drew will remember after seeing pictures 20 years from now. She agreed. Then Drew comes in the kitchen and starts looking at the catalogue and, yep, you guessed it, the list is alive and well again...mom, can we put this on this list, and this, and this. At first he would point at one toy at a time, then he starts waving his hand over the page and in a delicate, circular fashion says, "Can we put THESE on the list?" And for the next several pages, he would wave his hand over the page asking if these too could be added. I just laughed.
Later in the evening we had to do open enrollment for 2009 benefits. Drew had to sit next to us on the love seat as we clicked through all the choices. Finally, Mike went to the other couch and Drew wanted to play with the mouse. After a couple stern warnings that this is dad's work laptop and mom is doing really important work on it, and don't click on the mouse, and don't do anything with the mouse he finally puts it down. Little stinker then starts ever so slightly moving it with his foot, and then gives me a big hug and says, I love you mom. I ignore him trying to finish up the selections and it happens a few more times. Finally I save the changes and give him a look out of the corner of my eye, like, what are you doing you little turkey? He says, "I love you mom!", I look at him again, he says it again, and this happens about 20 times before he says, "Mom! Why aren't you talking to me!? I said I love you!!" I burst out laughing and tell him I love him too and now it's become a game. "OK, mom, I'm going to say I love you a lot of times and when I stop talking you tell me you love me, k?" He thought it was hilarious and I thought it was pretty darn cute. Ahh, let the good times roll!

No comments: