Thursday, April 24, 2008

Why did you lock the camper mom?

Last night I finally went and got my haircut. Yes, it had been since November and the grays were out in force. Mike had to "work" in Flint with the higher ups, so I got a babysitter for Drew - his favorite teacher, Ms Erin. When I got home at 8, Ms Erin told me Drew would be tired because they went on two bike rides around the neighborhood. I knew at that moment, I was going to have my hands full. First, we had a melt down because Spongebob abruptly stopped working OnDemand. Then, we had to feed the fish, then, watch the fish eat - really feed the fish, with fish food, not the other way! :) Then we didn't want to take any clothes off. Then mom forgot snack out on the couch (on purpose). Then, the pillows weren't right. Then, too cold. Then thirsty. Then finally he remembered...mom, why did you lock the camper? I didn't Drew, I don't have a key. YES you did! No, I didn't. Yes! Well I'm sorry buddy, I didn't mean to. Then - the eyes start welling up...but mom, you did lock the camper and I couldn't go in. And the sobbing began. Drew, maybe Ms Erin just couldn't get the door open, I really don't have keys to it. YES YOU DID! WHY??? At this point, of course, I'm thinking, what can I say to stop this crazy conversation before it really gets out of control. I contimplate picking him up and walking outside to prove that I didn't. Luckily, I get a grip and realize that is a really dumb idea which will lead to - you wanna play hide and seek, mom? So I say Drew, I'm so sorry I locked the camper tonight, I'll make sure I unlock it so you can play hide and seek tomorrow. But mom, you shouldn't have locked it! I know, I'm sorry dude. Which finally seemed to be an ok answer to hear and the crying stopped. Then he decided, I assume because I was finally sorry, that he wanted to sleep next to me and snuggle. Five minutes later - sawing logs! whew!

Needless to say, the next morning (with a smile) I told Ms Erin she's never allowed to babysit during the week again! and told her about our conversation. We had a good laugh. Even Drew smirked about it. She promised me next time she would keep it to one bike ride!

No comments: